Haka Tourism Group boss Ryan Sander is hugely enthusiastic about WeChat, saying it’s a key stepping stone into the China market and is already generating bookings.
The 2017 Supreme Tourism Award winner, Haka Tourism Group recently signed up for an extensive WeChat program with PayPlus to grow the China market.
WeChat is the most heavily used mobile app in China and savvy tourism operators like Haka are using it to grow this important market by offering Chinese visitors the opportunity to engage and pay for things in the same way they do at home.
PayPlus, TIA’s preferred WeChat provider, has worked closely with Haka to ensure its WeChat plan is aligned to its business priorities. The Haka plan includes:
- Offering WeChat Pay at Haka lodges throughout the country and its two new Auckland hotels
- Arming tour guides with WeChat Pay to help sell tour add ons
- Integrating WeChat Pay with the Haka Tours Chinese website
- Building a Haka Tours WeChat official account to start marketing from
- Using the PayPlus blogger Erica Chen to blog about Haka’s tours and attract followers to join her on a tour, with great support from Cathedral Cove Kayak Tours, Caveworld Glowworm Cave, Hobbiton Movie Set and Taupo Bungy. The blogs and live stream are attracting more than 120,000 views.
Haka Tourism Group owner and founder Ryan Sanders says within one month of set up, Haka Tours had its first WeChat payment from Chinese private tour clients.
Ït’s super exciting to see the first Chinese agent bookings for Haka Tours, Haka Lodges and our brand new Haka Hotels. “We see China as a core market for our company moving forward and we know these first few bookings are just the tip of the iceberg!
“A huge thanks to PayPlus for all the hard work in helping us build the WeChat pay system and official Wechat account application, which is a key stepping stone to breaking into the China market.
"Furthermore, our first Chinese Influencer campaign alongside PayPlus was a huge success and a core part of our strategy to target the younger, Chinese FIT market.
PayPlus spokesperson Sean Zhao says it’s very exciting to be working with a tourism operator that is so enthusiastic and ready to capitalise on WeChat and what it can offer New Zealand businesses.
“As a result of implementing a WeChat programme, Haka Tours will see a lift in engagement with the Chinese market, ultimately resulting in increased sales.”
TIA member WeChat offer
PayPlus is TIA’s preferred WeChat service provider. Find out more about WeChat and the PayPlus offer for TIA members.