Tourism businesses will have at least one Chinese payment system within 12 months, predicts TIA Chair Grant Webster. TIA can help members achieve this through our WeChat partnership with PayPlus.
WeChat is one of the most popular messaging and social media platforms in China, with 938 million monthly active users – 94% of who use the mobile app daily – and 600 million payment transactions per day globally.
More than just a payment system, WeChat can connect you with Chinese consumers before, during and after their visit. It is sometimes referred to as the ‘Swiss army knife’ application because of its all-inclusive functionality combining everything from messaging, chat, phone calls, payment systems, e-commerce and more.
PayPlus is TIA’s preferred WeChat service provider. They are offering TIA members a special introductory offer to help you take full advantage of WeChat. Contact PayPlus today to talk about WeChat and how it will benefit your business in time for the 2018 Spring Festival (Chinese New Year). Tens of thousands of Chinese visitors travel to New Zealand over this two week holiday.
Southern Lakes Helicopters, Te Anau
I first read about PayPlus and WeChat in the TIA newsletter. This was of interest to us as we have a number of Chinese clients, and are always looking for ways to increase our business by making ourselves as ‘user friendly’ as possible. I read the information on the PayPlus website and took advantage of the special offer in conjunction with TIA of no setup fees. The whole process was very quick and easy, and once set up you receive an information pack with full instructions, stickers and desk display to draw customers' attention to the fact that you accept WeChat.
Processing a transaction is super easy. The client uses their device, scans our QR code on the desk display and enters the amount they are to pay. They then show us for confirmation the $$ amount is correct. They accept on their device and then BAM, the payment comes through instantly on our portal which confirms to us that the payment has been accepted. If not accepted, we also know instantly. Even less for us to do than a normal credit card transaction. No pin numbers, signatures, etc, required. The Online Portal has all the information you need, and even better no bits of paper to file away!
Our Chinese customers are generally quite surprised that we accept WeChat and one lady recently was so delighted she jumped up and down clapping her hands!
PayPlus has been fantastic with any support required but it is such a simple user friendly system that very little support is needed. If you are to start using WeChat, I would highly recommend that you place the promotional material in as prominent a position as possible so that customers are aware of this option before paying with other methods.
I would highly recommend using WeChat if you have Chinese clients.
Erin Robertson, Office Manager
Arataki Honey Ltd, Hawke’s Bay Division
As a tourism and honey retail business, we are getting more and more Chinese customers through our doors all the time and believe it's important to make them feel as welcome as possible.
When I saw the WeChat Pay opportunity through TIA, I wanted to know more. I phoned and spoke to the team at PayPlus with a list of questions. I got clear, helpful and easy to understand answers to all my questions.
Not only are there no costs involved but we are not paying credit card transaction fees on purchases so it is actually beneficial to us as a business.
I applied quickly and easily using the online application process and the start-up kit arrived promptly.
The set up was really simple and literally took only a few minutes. We set it up with a tablet as it is portable, but there are other options.
Our Chinese customers are loving it and we have had quite a few transactions now. It is obviously something that they are really familiar with using and appreciate having it available for them here.
It is really simple to process and confirm a successful transaction, and payment into our bank account is usually next day.
My team are impressed by how easy it is to use so are keen to offer it as an option to our Chinese customers and the accompanying POS material is easy for WeChat users to recognise.
Simon and the PayPlus team are very helpful and easy to deal with, although after the initial set up we have not needed any support given how easy everything has been.
The Chinese tourism market in New Zealand can only continue to grow and I would really recommend trying out WeChat as a way to help connect with this market.
I think phone apps such as WeChat Pay will be the future for all payments eventually and it’s good to get ahead with the technology.
Gayle Hutcheson, Visitor Centre Manager
Haka Tourism Group
Leading New Zealand tourism business Haka Tourism Group is embracing WeChat. They have worked with PayPlus to implement a WeChat plan which is helping them break into the important China market. Find out more.
Chinese New Zealanders spent approximately $315 million on domestic holiday trips in the last 12 months - around 30% use WeChat as a source of tourism information according to a Trace Research survey.
- WeChat is the most heavily used mobile app in China – use it to grow the important Chinese visitor market by offering Chinese visitors the opportunity to engage, learn, explore and pay for things in the same way they do in China.
- Another benefit for business owners is the option to have dollar for dollar settlement on WeChat Pay transaction.
- Business owners pay no ongoing monthly fees for using WeChat Pay.
- Market and sell directly to Chinese consumers – China has grown rapidly to become New Zealand’s second largest visitor market by arrivals and spend, projected to become our biggest market by spend by 2023.
- Enhance the Chinese visitor experience - travelers can make payments using the platform before they arrive here and using their mobile phones while they are in the country.
- Chinese consumers have a big appetite for accessing information via mobile technology and having access to WeChat is key to delivering a visitor experience that matches their expectations.
- Engage with consumers before they come here, during their trip, and when they return home.
- Free set up of WeChat Pay (valued at $149 excluding GST)
- No monthly fees for the duration of the relationship
- Dollar for dollar settlement, next business day
- Members will be provided a starter pack including in store point of purchase promotional material including static QR code, stickers/posters
- PayPlus can also make available its API (application programme interface) for members to offer WeChat Pay on websites
- This offer does not include WeChat Marketing package such Official Account, WeChat Voucher and WeChat Advertisement
PayPlus is one of New Zealand’s first authorised WeChat service providers and the only provider with a locally developed and hosted payment portal for security, speed and reliability.
PayPlus is passionate about providing WeChat solutions that extend from WeChat payment systems through to integrated marketing and e-commerce campaigns for New Zealand businesses to effectively target their Chinese customers.
PayPlus has already developed a WeChat client base, testament to its ability to develop solutions across multiple industries, including tourism, retail, education, finance and hospitality.
p: 09 600 2327